Momos Ouzaria Taverna - Visited January 2014


After visiting Dave & Tony's Burgers following their review in the Ladue Panorama student paper, I thought I would use my pick to try their latest reviewed restaurant, Momos Ouzaria Taverna in University City (the northeast corner of Delmar and North & South.) We were able to park on Gannon, the street just north of the restaurant, and were promptly seated at an unusual looking table in a comfortable and well decorated dining area. Our server took our drink orders and we had plenty of time to look over their menu. They specialize in various tapas style selections, but looking over the options we decided to just pick items from their lunch menu. My son selected the BLT Wrap with the chips, my wife selected the Chicken Gyro with an Elleniki Greek salad, my mother-in-law picked the same gyro with fries, and I selected the Lamb Gyro with the Elleniki salad as well.

The first items to appear were our Elleniki Greek salads which were good, with a mild dressing and plenty of olives in mine (my wife did not want olives in hers.) Our gyros and wraps appeared a few minutes later and they gave us generous portions of meat, vegetables and cheese on top of a pita. My lamb was good, but I noticed it was not as flavorful as I would have liked. The Tzatziki sauce they used was also somewhat watery and not as creamy and flavorful as other Tzatziki sauces we have had in the past (like at Olympia.) My wife let me try some of her chicken gyro and her meat was also not as juicy and flavorful as the selections at Olympia. The gyros were still good, but they were not anything special and not as good as the ones at Olympia. I did get to try my son's chips that came with his wrap, and those chips were actually very good. They make a good side with a sandwich, wrap or gyro.

So the obvious comparison is between the Olympia Kebob House on McCausland and Momos. Momos seemed like a larger place with more little rooms and a better atmosphere. We noticed they also have belly dancers at night after 7:30pm, so I am guessing it would be a more fun place to meet for a big group party. However, if you are going strictly for the food quality, we still prefer Olympia, which has a better Tzatziki sauce and more flavorful meat. Olympia also suffers from having a lot of flies, and when you are seated up front there is too much traffic and too many breezes. The interior of Momos is much nicer and better suited for a larger gathering, but if you are going for the food, go to Olympia. Perhaps the tapas are much better at Momos are they were named the top Greek restaurant by the Riverfront Times in 2012.

Comments