Olympia Kebob House - Visited September 2012

It was my wife's week to pick where we went to lunch, and her pick was the Olympia Kebob House on McCausland just south of Highway 40. It is probably our favorite Greek place to go so we were looking forward to the visit. Even my son who is not a big fan of Greek food was okay with it since he remembered they had good toasted ravioli. Whenever we visit we usually are given one of the same tables, and this time was no exception, getting the round table in front next to the door to the patio. The first thing we noticed was the presence of a number of flies, which we had noticed before at this table, especially since the door to the patio was opened fairly frequently. We were hoping the flying insects would not be too much of a nuisance.
My wife ordered the lamb souvlaki on pita, my daughter selected the chicken souvlaki on pita, my son selected his toasted ravioli, my mother-in-law selected the spinach pita and I, of course, had to try something new with the pastitsio.That may not have been the best choice since the pasta dish had a pretty good flavor to it, but it seemed a bit dry and not as rich as I had hoped. There was just not as much seasoning, cheese and sauce as I had expected. My wife makes a homemade pastitsio which I always enjoy, and this one was not nearly as good. The souvlaki on pita which they always make very well were good flavored as usual, but both my wife and my daughter thought the meat quality was not as good as before, being fattier and chewier, and my wife also noted the tomatoes were obviously store bought and not garden fresh tomatoes. My mother-in-law was not overly impressed with her spinach pita as well and did not even finish it.

The only one who liked their meal completely was my son and his toasted raviolis, who was kind enough to let me have one (it was quite good!) Or perhaps he gave it to me trying to apologize after startling me half to death by trying to swat a fly on my back. Yes, those darn pesky flies were at us all throughout our meal. I was forced to do the "get off my head, flies" dance at several times at the table which certainly entertained both my dining party and the other customers at the restaurant. Perhaps September was not the best time to visit!

Comments