Dave & Tony's Premium Burger Joint - Creve Coeur


Today was my son's lunch pick and he decided to pick somewhere that was reviewed favorably in his high school newspaper, Dave & Tony's Premium Burger Joint in Creve Coeur.


I was pretty excited my son was picking somewhere new, and I looked up their menu to see they were definitely trying to compete with places like Five Star Burgers who served up "premium" quality hamburgers. You can build a custom built burger with just about any bread, meat, topping and condiment imaginable, and they also had a number of salads, sides and even hot dogs if you prefer. The main attraction, however, are the burgers! Both my son and daughter were going to custom build a masterpiece, but I thought I would try one of their "signature" burgers, so I went with the Steakhouse which had gorgonzila cheese, onion rings, lettuce and steak sauce on a rye bun. My son created something with gorgonzola, bacon and mayo and my daughter created one with a fried egg on top and steak sauce. I thought my Steakhouse combination was pretty good (plus my burger was medium where everyone else prefers medium-well), but I definitely liked the fried egg with steak sauce too. The quality of the burger beef patty was definitely impressive too, like at Five Star, and my wife who always orders her burgers completely plain agreed (although she still rates Five Star as slightly better.)

The biggest difference between Dave & Tony's and Five Star is the ambience, where Dave & Tony's feels like a suburban strip mall joint (which it is!) and Five Star seems more like a more urban, trendy Clayton eatery (which it is!)  Dave & Tony's actually has more food and topping choices and it is not as noisy and crowded, and parking is much more ample (parking in Clayton is always a pain!) Dave & Tony's also has a much better selection of beverages with self serve fountain drinks and Fitz's root beer on tap. Dave & Tony's also has a variety of salad choices, with the "side" Market salad my wife ordered being a generous and very tasty combination of greens, cheese and nuts that would have made a reasonable meal. I also ordered the garlic fries which I thought were okay, but nothing too exciting. The cheese did not stick to the fries and the garlic flavor was barely noticeable. I still prefer Five Star's onion rings, but I did not try the ones at Dave & Tony's (the ones on my burger were good as a topping, but I am not sure if I would like them as much as a side.)

All in all, we thought David & Tony's was a great place to get a burger where you could always create a new combination and find something good to eat. The portions were generous, the burgers were juicy and flavorful and it is a convenient and pleasant place to dine. We will most likely be back!

Comments