LLywelyn's Celtic Pub, Webster Groves - Visited August 2013


It was my turn to select some place to eat for lunch and after my daughter went to visit the Llewelyn's Pub in St. Charles last week, that made me realize I had not been to a Llewelyn's since I visited the one in the Central West End back in the 1990's (yes, I am that old!) I noticed that there was now a location in Webster Groves just a few miles from us, so I thought we should go and visit. The Webster location is located on Moody just a block north of Lockwood and it is a very large building with a high ceiling. We were seated at a double table where the back row looked like a church pew, and felt as hard as one too! We had looked over the menu online before visiting, but I will have to say they have quite a few selections that sounded good, from burgers, to sandwiches to a variety of "Traditional Pub Fare" as you would expect in "the old country". It made us all want to speak in really bad accents!

I finally decided to get the Irish Stew and a house salad (w/ balsamic viniagrette), whereas my son ordered the Pub Burger with chips, my daughter ordered the Steak & Cheese sandwich with chips, my wife ordered a plain burger with fries, and my mother-in-law selected the fish & chips. My children were also both quite happy they had Diet Dr. Pepper in their soda fountain which is not all that common. It did take a while for the food to arrive and our waitress was not all that responsive checking with us, but finally we did receive our food.

My son's review of the Pub Burger:  My Pub Burger was very good.  If you go specifically for the quality of the burger, I don't think that you would particularly enjoy the burger.  However, the burger was definitely passable, but was under the quality of Five Star Burgers, or Schlafly's.  I also asked for a medium-well done burger, and recieved a well done burger.  The "very good" part about the burger was the toppings.  I don't really go to restaurants for the quality of the burger, but if the combination of the burger and the toppings is good enough to write home about, that's what I like.  So, the cheese, bacon, and pickle (That I added) made the burger simply scrumptious.  It was very good, and in THAT regard it was much better than Schlafly's burgers.

My wife thought her burger was good but not great, and she actually salted it (she rarely salts anything.) She was not impressed with their thick steak fries. We all thought the chips were better than the fries, but we still prefer the Billy Goat chips like you can get at Schlafly's Bottleworks. My mother-in-law said she enjoyed both the fish and the fries but she still said she would not choose to come back herself. My daughter enjoyed her steak sandwich and even took half of it home. As for my selections, I did enjoy the Irish Stew and thought it seemed like the kind of stew an Irish traveler might enjoy in a seaside Irish Inn. The salad was tasty as well with the fried onions adding a nice flavorful touch that went well with the creamy balsamic dressing. I would not mind coming back myself and trying some of the other items on the menu. Perhaps my son will pick it again and I can try something different.



Comments