Thai Table Maplewood - Visited November 2019


It was my lunch pick this week, and since we had not been to any place new recently, it seemed like time to torment everyone with a new restaurant. The Thai Table opened up in Maplewood just a year ago and we had never been there so it seemed like time to visit. They have their own parking lot behind them which looks convenient on a map, but the problem is you cannot enter from the back so you must walk all the way to the front door on Manchester. At least the Blue Duck entrance is close to the lot so it is convenient for their patrons.

When we entered the front door of the Thai Table we were greeted by a hostess who seated us up front by Manchester. The dining area is pretty roomy but we noticed they were playing odd acoustic versions of pop music in the background. Their menu is pretty extensive and has a lot of Thai standards along with some unique specialties. We started off with some pot stickers which were very tasty but my wife noticed either the dumplings or the sauce had a little hotness to it which she did not like. We also ordered some crab rangoon rolls for my mother-in-law which she enjoyed dipping and eating. I ordered the Pad Kee Mao with beef, my wife ordered the Pad Woon Sen, and our kids ordered the Pad Kra Pow and the milder yellow curry (I cannot figure out which is was from the menu!)

After the appetizers arrived (and my son's Thai coffee which he liked very much) it did not take long for my Pad Kee Mao to appear. It was a large portion of food so I actually took home about half of it.


I ordered mine medium and it did have a little heat to it, but not too much so medium was definitely the correct choice for me. My Pad Kee Mao had lots of vegetables and meat to go with the thick noodles and spicy sauce. I thought it was pretty good but not exceptional. Both the kids thought their entrees were pretty good, but we still prefer the menus and recipes of the Delmar Thai restaurants (Thai Country Cafe and Thai Gai Yang Cafe) with which we are more familiar. My wife thought her noodle dish was a bit boring and I tried it and had to agree. I will have to get out the Sriracha bottle to eat her leftovers for lunch. We did appreciate that they had real sodas and ice tea, but we were split on the metal water cups which some of us liked and some of us did not. Oh well, you cannot please everyone!

Overall we thought it was not too bad and it was nice to have a new Thai restaurant in the Maplewood area, but we still prefer the Thai restaurants on Delmar. If only they\ Loop had better parking and that crazy trolley did not disrupt Delmar so much. Hey, from the sound of things, that trolley may not be running on Delmar too much longer...

Food, Service, Ambience



Comments