Thai Gai Yang Cafe, Delmar Loop - Visited April 2016


It was the day after my birthday, and my first born agreed to treat me to a celebratory lunch! Since I work at the Danforth Campus of Washington University and they work on the Delmar Loop, we agreed to meet in front of Blueberry Hill and go to Thai Gai Yang Cafe to get some Thai food. The forecast was for scattered thundershowers, but we lucked out and it was just overcast for my pleasant walk from campus up to the Loop. When I got to Delmar it was startling to see how empty the street was. With the trolley construction blocking the Skinker intersection, there were not many vehicles going up and down the street and there was actually a lot of empty street parking.

Once my fully employed offspring arrived we continued east on Delmar towards Thai Gai Yang Cafe. The restaurant was pretty empty when we got there and actually stayed fairly empty throughout our entire meal. We hope the intersection closure has not hurt their business too much. We were allowed to sit where we desired, so we picked the very comfortable seats by the front windows so we could watch the street and people watch. My eldest ordered their favorite, the pad thai with tofu and I ordered #33, the Gang Keaw Gai curry with chicken. Since the restaurant was so empty it did not take too long for our food to arrive.

Gang Keaw Gai with chicken
My curry was served on a large plate which allowed for easy mixing of the rice, sauce and ingredients all together. My companion did not want the bean sprouts on their pad thai, so I took all of them and combined them to my curry as well. The sauce was flavorful and spicy without being two hot for a "two pepper" item on their menu. The chicken was not over cooked and the vegetables were all fresh, crisp and flavorful. It was delicious and a very generous portion but I ate the whole thing. unlike my adult child who enjoyed their pad thai but saved half of it to eat for lunch the next day. It was also a pretty generous portion.

Pad Thai with tofu
Since we had been there before, we knew what to expect and Thai Gai Yang Cafe did not disappoint us. The two of us walked west on Delmar where I had to turn left on Melville to take the walkway back to campus and they had to walk back to their work offices further down Delmar. After I got back to my office and I received a text saying they had run into a homeless person on the street who they decided to give the leftover Pad Thai to for lunch. So three people were able to enjoy lunch from our delicious meal at Thai Gai Yang Cafe.

Food Quality, Service and Value
  

Comments