The Shack, Frontenac - Visited June 2018

Iguana Huevos Rancheros (eggs over easy)
It was my son's pick for lunch, and he selected one of his favorites, The Shack in Frontenac, so he could start his day off with some real breakfast food and some cold iced coffee. We showed up a little affter 11:00 and we did have to wait about 30 minutes for a table for four. Luckily we could wait inside on a bench since the waiting area was not as crowded as we had seen it on previous occasions. We noticed there was even graffiti on the ceilings and we wondering how anyone wrote it there.

After our 30 minute wait (it may have actually been more like 20-25 minutes) we were seated at a comfortable booth by the window facing Lindbergh. I decided to have the Iguana Huevos Rancheros, amd my son ordered the Gringo Killer like I had ordered in my previous review. My wife selected a Meg Ryan (eggs, sausage and a pancake) and my mother-in-law ordered a pancake and some bacon. As usual the place was pretty crowded and noisy, but that is just the typical environment there.

Gringo Killer Skillet
My son and I both tasted each others selections, and we both agreed the Iguana Huevos Rancheros was better than the Gringo Killer because it had more "stuff" in it, namely the corn tortilla, salsa fresca, refried beans and sriracha drizzle. I am not sure what made it an "iguana" but it was mighty tasty all mixed together. I was also given an extra sausage from my wife and my son received some extra bacon from his grandmother since we were not sure if our meals were unhealthy enough without some extra greasy breakfast meat!

Overall, there is only so much you can do with breakfast food, but The Shack does it pretty well with a good selection of choices that should please just about anybody, competent (although not so speedy) service and reasonably fair prices. You know on the weekends you will have to wait a while, but they are consistently good and always provide a pleasant meal.

Food, Service & Value

Comments