The Shack - Revisited January 2016


My son decided we should revisit The Shack in Frontenac for a second time after our initial visit, so we picked him up from his dorm and headed down Highway 40 to their always packed lot. We had to wait for 30 minutes for a table, but at least this time we found their WiFi password which is posted on their front desk. We were seated at a table more in the middle this time, so we did not have the cushioned booth seats, but instead had hard chairs. The table was again a door, but it was not covered in plexiglass this time, and all the graffiti was limited to the wall next to our table.

We ordered drinks and they left a bottle of water on the table and also a pot of Kaldi's coffee for my mother-in-law who ordered coffee. My son again ordered a B n E burger with chips, my wife ordered pancakes with sausage and my mother-in-law ordered blueberry pancakes and bacon. I had a hard time deciding, but went with the Gringo Killer skillet. It took a little while for the food to arrive, and the place was pretty noisy and busy as before.

When they did bring the food it was all pretty good, but again nothing extraordinary. They do have Chalupa sauce which was a tasty addition to the top of my Gringo Killer which had hash browns on the bottom, much like my breakfast burrito last time. It was a flavorful combination and a hearty meal all together. My wife seemed to like her pancakes and sausage better than her club sandwich from last time, and my son again liked his burger but said he actually preferred my Gringo Killer skillet. My mother-in-law probably enjoyed her pot of coffee more than anything else, but she seemed to like her breakfast too.

Overall it is a good, comfortable place for a breakfast or lunch, but nothing to rave over. They do try to make sure you are satisfied, and it is good to see a restaurant at that location that is doing well and can hopefully stay in business.


Comments