Racanelli's New York Pizzeria Webster Groves - Visited October 2013


My wife, son and I had just finished a very pleasant campus tour and talk with an admissions officer at Webster University, and since it was over at about noon, it seemed like a good excuse to eat lunch at one of the many nice eateries near campus there on Big Bend. We had been to the Racanelli's there a few years ago, but it had been a while so it seemed like a good reason to go eat there again. I thought I would try something besides just the pizza since my wife and son were splitting a 14" pepperoni pizza. I went with a pepperoni stromboli with a side salad. I had ordered the house Italian salad, but since my wife's Caesar salad came out covered with black pepper (she hates pepper!), I let her have my house salad and I ate the Caesar. It was a decent salad but nothing that exciting.


When the pizza came out the 14" seemed larger than we expected, and since it came out before my stromboli, I was able to sample one of the smaller slices of the pie. It was fresh from the oven and very tasty with a good crisp crust and a tangy sauce. The middle of it was slightly burned and it was a bit on the greasy side, but it was still a very good New York style pizza. We still prefer the pizza at La Pizza  (which is less greasy and has an even better crust), but Racanelli's has a lot more dining space, and a soda fountain that allows you to refill your drinks.

I did enjoy my stromboli which was quite large in size and quite a handful to eat. They were very generous with the cheese, pepperoni and extra sauce, and the crust was cooked perfectly with a great flavor and texture. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The price for the portions they served was very affordable and it was definitely worth the visit. If my son decides to attend Webster, I know one place we can visit to eat. Of course, in a couple weeks we are visiting the Mizzou campus in Columbia, and that means one thing to me... Shakespeare's Pizza! His current top choice college right now is SLU. Is the nearby Vito's Pizzeria, any good?  

Comments