Whittemore House Wash U - Another Birthday Lunch, with a Buffet!


Today we were celebrating the birthday of our department lab administrator (his birthday was actually a few days ago but that is close enough), so we were off to the Whittemore House on campus on a beautiful September day at Washington University. When we arrived I found out they had a buffet which some good tasting selections, so I knew I would have to scope it out before making my selection. Another member of our group had mentioned they had a new fall menu, but after our waitress mentioned the shrimp and corn chowder and red snapper with mangos and kiwi on the buffet, I knew what I would select. I did notice that the three males there (Birthday Boy Bob, Rich and I) all selected the buffet and the only buffet selector of the several ladies present was Margo. Hey, that did not mean I could not still sample the bread on the table!

In any case the four of us waited a little while before deciding we would all get the soup while the other ladies were waiting for their selections. The shrimp and corn chowder was very flavorful with a nice "seafood" flavor to it and just a little spice (red pepper?) to give it a little bit of hotness. It went well with the bread they offered at the buffet as well. For my main entree I selected some of the snapper with the mango and kiwi chunks, tomatoes with artichoke hearts, grilled green beans, beef stew and some bowtie pasta salad. That was quite a pile of food, but I was up for it. The snapper was very good with a subtle flavor without being too fishy, and the stew also had a nice rich, meaty sauciness to it. The green beans and the bowtie pasta were okay but nothing too exciting. I also saved a little room and grabbed two brownies (one a marbled cheesecake brownie and the other a dark chocolate frosted brownie) which were both very rich and decadent. That should hold me until 2:30 in the afternoon until it is time for more birthday cake!

The others in my group at the Whittemore House also liked their selections, including the the salmon quiche (very tall!) and the new Parrano and French Ham Panini. We had remembered in the past we had thought their portions seemed smallish, but both the panini and the salmon quiche were pretty huge. Maybe some folks had complained and they had increased portion sizes. The person with the panini ended up taking half of hers back it was so large. The service was excellent as always, with our waitress being one who had served us before and who did a very good job.

All in all it was another nice lunch on campus at the Whittemore House. What a great place for a department on campus to have a meal together.

Comments