Macaroni Grill - Brentwood - Visited May 2013


After my daughter's graduation we let her pick where she wanted to eat for dinner afterwards. Since she had a gluten-intolerant friend and a vegetarian friend both attending dinner with us, she selected Macaroni Grill since they accommodate both of those dietary restrictions pretty well. We would meet them there at the Eager Road location in Brentwood for dinner, a very convenient location for both groups and far from the graduation throngs packing the Delmar Loop or Clayton areas.


As usual there they started us off with their always tasty rosemary bread with olive oil for dipping. My mother-in-law and I are the only ones who like pepper in our olive oil and luckily we were sitting near each other so we could share. I was also seated next to my wife so I could share some of her Penne Rustica which is always good. I decided to get the Lasagna which I had remembered was good there since they made it with sausage that made it extra tasty. My mother-in-law selected the Fettucine Alfredo (as she often does), my son picked the Chicken Parmesan, my daughter went with the Chicken Marsala, her vegetarian friend selected the Mushroom Ravioli and her gluten free friend picked something gluten free (I forgot what!)

Overall the food was pretty good, much better than the nearby Olive Garden, and with a nicer atmosphere than a Pasta House. Frankly, I find it hard to believe Olive Garden can stay in business in St. Louis since those preferring a fancier "chain Italian" restaurant should obviously pick Macaroni Grill over Olive Garden, and those preferring a "chain Italian" with homier, tastier food would pick Pasta House. Then for fast food level "chain Italian" there are places like Fazolli's. Of course, real foodies skip the chains altogether, and with the many levels of quality non-chain Italian restaurants scattered throughout St. Louis city and county, Olive Garden seems to be the least likely place to visit for Italian food. I cannot understand who goes there!

Comments