5 Star Burgers Clayton - Return Visit March 2013

March Burger of the Month - Luau Burger
We had first visited Five Star Burgers back in January, not too long after they had been opened, but my daughter had not been able to make it, so she picked it as our destination this week. We knew to arrive early, but even by noon it was not as crowded at it had been back in January, but maybe that was because it was St. Patrick's Day weekend and folks were saving up there "going out" time for Saturday evening or Sunday (not Saturday lunch!) We are again lucky enough to find street parking on Maryland, but it looks like there is a pretty reasonable lot behind the building.
5 Star Burgers has the longer black awning
You get to the parking in the back via a back alley way between Brentwood and Forsyth just north of Maryland. We may try parking there in the future on another visit (which I am guessing will be in the not too distant future).

In any case we arrived shortly after 11:00 am and this time the place was not so crowded. We had a much better table instead of the one next to the permanently closed front door, over on the side instead under the middle big star (there are five large stars on the big eastern wall.) The first thing I noticed on the table was a little sign advertising their burger of the month, the "Luau Burger". It was also listed on the chalkboard on the bar side of the restaurant, but I could not read any description so we asked our very friendly waitress about it. The Luau Burger is an "all-natural pork patty brushed with sweet BBQ sauce on a brioche bun, topped with a pineapple and jalapeno & candied bacon jam." Okay, I was sold! I ordered it with an order of onion rings this time since I had not been so impressed with the fries last time. The others in my group ordered an assortment of different burgers, from my wife's very plain burger, my mother-in-law's 5 Star Burger to my son and daughter's Blue Ribbon Burgers (although I remember they each had some special changes to them.) We all skipped the soft drinks since my son remembered the weird stuff they had before was not very good.

But that was okay since the burgers were fantastic as before. I enjoyed the Luau burger which was again juicy, messy and tasty (like my Dad's Green Chile Cheeseburger last time), but I will have to admit the Dad's burger was actually even better. Still I cannot complain about the Luau burger since it is hard for a pork burger to compete with a beef burger. The onion rings were also a very good selection and much better than your average onion rings. These ones had a much tougher coating that did not fall off the onions and had a nice tough crispness to them that I liked.

Overall, Five Star Burgers continues to be the burger place for us in St. Louis county. I am sure we are headed back again in the future!

Comments

  1. We went to 5-Star Burgers again yesterday and I had another succulent and amazing plain burger, complimented by thin and crispy onion rings. Mmmm good. It was probably the best burger that I've ever eaten. But they have got to do something about those inferior drinks. We all had water this time, but the glasses were small, we never got any refills on ice, and the bottled water on the table is not that cold. But the drink sacrifice is still worth it for that burger. --Hugh's wife

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment