5 Star Burgers Clayton - Visited January 2013


This is my first post for a 2013 visit, and since it was my lunch pick I knew I had to select somewhere new, so I chose to visit 5 Star Burgers in Clayton, just west of Brentwood on Maryland. I had heard that it was a great place for a burger, so I had to see if the rumors were true. We arrived shortly before noon, and we were glad we did, since by 12:15 or so there was quite a wait, whereas there were still a few empty tables when we arrived. They first led us to a high table near the bar, but we asked to move to a more normal table, especially since we did not want the 80+ year old grandmother to have to sit on those high bar chairs. We were seated at a table near the front doors, which kept us amused since we were able to see the many people try to enter the restaurant through the locked door, when they were supposed to enter via the unlocked one next to it. The restaurant seems quite busy and could definitely use some more room!

Once seated we were asked for drink choices and my wife and mother-in-law chose iced tea, I selected my usual water, and my son wanted one of their unusual sodas, picking the lemon lime version. We noticed they gave everyone a small glass of water and left a large filled bottle of luke warm water on the table with a recloseable top that my son found fascinating. When his soda arrived he said it tasted pretty bad, like lemon-lime flavoring with carbonated water, so he performed a chemistry experiment by adding some Splenda to his drink. It started fizzing and turned all while, and we were afraid it would take all the carbonation out of his soda, unless it exploded and blew up half of Clayton. Luckily he had his water, and the bottle of lukewarm tap water he could keep opening and closing!

As for our meals, my son went with the Blue Ribbon burger substituting the onions with pickles, my mother-in-law selected the 5 Star Burger, my wife went with a completely plain burger, and I selected the Dad's Green Chile Cheeseburger. My son and mother-in-law picked small russet fries as their side and I chose the small sweet potato fries. The food arrived after several minutes, with the fries in cute little deep fryer baskets. The sweet potato fries came with some creamy sauce to dip them in, but I much preferred dipping them in the extra green chile mayo that came with my burger (yum!) I thought both types of fries were pretty good.

And then there were the burgers! The buns were nicely firm but not too hard (yikes, that just sounds bad!) and the burger was a hot, juicy, messy pile of deliciousness. I really liked the fried green chiles on top which gave it a nice crunch, and the chile mayo added a nice extra little tang to it as well. I ordered mine cooked medium which was just about burger perfection. I cannot imagine the fat content of that burger, but while I was eating it I surely did not care. After eating quite a few burgers around town, I can easily claim that as my favorite.

So overall, come to 5 Star Burgers for the fantastic burgers, be careful of the beverages, and arrive early! This place will continue to be popular and will draw a crowd.

Comments