Sugarfire Smokehouse Olivette - Visited October 2012


Today was supposed to be my daughter's pick for lunch, but she was busy doing something at school, so that means it was my pick so I had to pick... Sugarfire Smokehouse in Olivette! I had heard quite a bit about the place from various articles in the Riverfront Times and the Patch, and after the owner was able to capture a picture of the Scamwich Artist, I just had to go!
The place was located at the former Dickey's location by Fallon's Pub and Jimmy John's. It does look like they have moved some things around a bit and the place seemed more open. I selected the 6 oz pulled pork platter with the cole slaw and fries. My son went with a burger with cheese and bacon, my wife selected a burger with pecan pie as her side, and my mother-in-law just wanted a grilled cheese sandwich with a piece of pecan pie. They served all the food just on paper on a tray which was fine by me and the food was all served very quickly. The drink machine was located before you ordered and had some strange selections, and they were out of diet cola which bugged my wife. The pork was moist and delicious and had a very good taste all its own. Our table had two sauces, a mustard based one and a sweet, darker one. I liked them both and they both went very well with the pork, but I must admit I actually prefer the choices at Bandana's where I love to mix up all sorts of sauce concoctions. The fries were not bad, but again I was comparing them to Bandana's fries which are much meatier and go well will BBQ sauce. My wife did like her burger and also the pecan pie (which I also sampled of course) and it was very rich and flavorful. My son liked his burger too, although he mentioned he would rather buy a burger there and eat it elsewhere as he was not impressed with the "ambience" (what was he expecting?)

Overall, I will have to say the meat is outstanding, but I am not so sure about the rest of it. I still would definitely go there, but I still like Bandana's too. I just love lots of good choices to eat meat!

Comments