Miss Sheri's Cafeteria - South County, Visited Thanksgiving 2018


Back in 2015, we started our new Thanksgiving lunch tradition of visiting Miss Sheri's Cafeteria since my mother-in-law has fond memories of eating there. Unfortunately, the location near us in Warson Woods closed earlier this year, so he had to visit the last remaining Miss Sheri's in South County. This other location is located near the Hokkaido Buffet we visited last summer, but we were hoping it would be a much better dining experience than we found there.

We arrived shortly before their official 11:00 am opening, and we noticed there were already a number of cars there. A number of people were going in to pick up pies and other items for their own Thanksgiving events elsewhere, but we soon noticed there was already a sizable line building up for diners to eat their Thanksgiving lunch there. With a $9.95 special for turkey, sides, dessert and a beverage it is hard to beat compared to most other places charging two to three times as much for pretty much the same thing. One notable thing we did notice while waiting by the front door was a large sign saying "CASH ONLY". We then had to check our cash supply to make sure we had enough to pay. Luckily we did, so we could continue our wait in line.

Once we waited through the line to the actual food line, we again noticed the first items available were jello salads which we all knew to skip this time. We all decided to pass on the turkey and we all selected their fried chicken which we had found pretty good in the past. We also picked up their big rolls which are always good, and I picked up a cup of their vegetable soup. We were shocked to see our son select the green bean casserole since he typically does not select anything resembling a vegetable. As we approahed the pie section, I saw my son grab a slice of chocolate cream pie, but when I looked around I did not find any more. I looked through the other options and I ended up grabbing a slice of blueberry pie which looked okay, but I really wanted that chocolate cream! My wife and mother-in-law both selected the pecan pie.

When we made it to the station to pay we were luckily prepared to pay all cash after seeing the sign at the front door. Like the former Warson Woods location, the dining area at the South County location is also quite large, and we found a comfortable table for four. The server in that area of the dining area was very pleasant and courteous, much better than the unusual lady we met at the Warson Woods location back in 2015. She took away our plates as we emptied them and refilled our drinks as needed.

The chicken was again not seasoned very much, so my son and I both could salt and pepper ours whereas my wife was fine leaving hers unseasoned. Once properly seasoned, the chicken was again quite tender and flavorful. My soup was also quite flavorful and hearty, and the big dinner rolls tasted freshly baked. I will have to admit my blueberry pie was not that bad for blueberry pie, but I would have preferred a different pie. Everyone else enjoyed their pies, with my mother-in-law pretty much making her pecan pie her main meal.

Luckily, I was able to enjoy a second dessert, namely my mother-in-law's uneaten fried chicken. Unfortunately our very efficient dining room attendant had already taken away my fork with my empty pie plate, so I was forced to eat the chicken with my fingers. After seasoning it, I had no problem eating her entire piece of chicken which made a fine Thanksgiving dessert!

As we were finishing up there were still more people coming in and the dining area was getting pretty full. Once again most of the people there were either over 60, or younger families accompanying their older relatives over 60. They did have a number of large tables which were often filled with intergenerational family groups enjoying a pleasant and affordable holiday meal together.

Miss Sheri's is nowhere near a gourmet dining experience, but instead an old fashioned cafeteria catering to seniors and their extended families, with basic, homestyle food. The service there was actually pretty good and they were able to serve a large number of families in a very efficient manner. Next Thanksgiving I just hope they have more chocolate cream pie.

Food Quality

Service, Efficiency and Value

Comments