Guerilla Street Food, South Grand - Visited August 2019


Our son was not able to have lunch with us during our regular Saturday lunchtime, so we invited him to lunch after church and let him select the locale. Being a recent SLU graduate, he longed to go some place on South Grand near his old stomping grounds, and after deciding the wait would be too long at Rooster, we decided to go to Guerilla Street Food on the corner of South Grand and Arsenal. I had never been there and was not so familiar with Filipino food so that sounded like a fun adventure to me.

The South Grand location is nice since it has a roomy parking lot behind it off Arsenal We had considered the Delmar location but was unsure on the parking there. Upon investigation it appears they also have a small nearby lot where you can park. We will have to remember that next time. There is also supposed to be a new location in Webster Groves in the Old Orchard area, so we may have to try that location as well in the future.

After we parked in the lot off Arsenal, we tried to enter via the door off the lot that leads to the restaurant, but unfortunately it was locked. We had to walk a little bit down Arsenal to come to their front door. The dining area is fairly small, only seating about 20 people. Luckily there were not too many people there at the time. We ordered at the counter off their short menu, and both my son and my wife selected the Flying Pig and I ordered the Chicken Adobo. My son ordered his Flying Pig using the standard sauces, but my wife did not want anything hot like Sriracha.

We sat at one of the few tables and did not have to wait long before an employee brought out our food in large bowls. The servings were quite generous and had a fragrant aroma. They all had a substantial amount of meat (both the pork and chicken), and the meats were very tender and were easily shredded to mix in the rice. I tried the chicken first and it was excellent, meaty, flavorful and tender. I tried my son's regular Flying Pig next, and it was even better, with a stronger, more flavorful sauce with a little more heat. My son brought over a bottle of Sriracha and I added some of that to my Chicken Adobo as well and that made it even better. Even my rather particular wife moaned with pleasure as she took her first bite of her Flying Pig.

Flying Pig
Chicken Adobo

One downside was the beverage selection, which was limited to the unusual bottled collection in their refrigerated cooler. My wife selected a Lucky diet cola which was just okay. She would have preferred a real brand of carbonated beverage.


Once served the food there is not much table side service, but that is not what you expect in an establishment like Guerilla Street. You go there for high quality entrees served quickly and efficiently (like the food truck service where they started out) and then you enjoy it either there or to go. We all enjoyed the food there a lot and cannot wait to have it again (okay, I will be having my wife's leftovers for lunch very soon, so I will not be waiting long.) We will be trying the Webster location for sure once it opens.

Food Flavor/Quality, Portion Size, Speed

Comments