Sugarfire Pie, Olivette - Visited June 2019



This review was written by my wife, Penny, who was not at all impressed with Sugarfire Pie:

After enduring an unpleasant visit to the doctor, my mom wanted a piece of her favorite pie which is pecan pie.  She's had a lot of pecan pie in her 80+ years, as have I in my 50+. If you are a pecan pie connoisseur, keep looking.  O'Charley's has some pretty good pecan pie, so we initially drove all the way down Kirkwood/Lindbergh nearly to I-44 to discover that they have closed. 

Then I googled the best pecan pies in St. Louis and was reminded that Sugarfire has decent pecan pie. I blame Feast Magazine for our journey from here.

Arriving just before noon, the Sugarfire parking lot was packed and I figured the never pleasant dining experience inside would be equally crowded, but I noticed that now there's a separate Sugarfire Pie storefront.  I led my sore-footed mother over there and we both ordered pecan pie. My first clue should have been that the pie was served WITHOUT whipped cream.  STRIKE ONE.

Besides the elevated counter seating, there were only three tables, one of which was occupied, and another of which the employee had covered with an art project.  So I sat my mom down and wandered the room looking for napkins since the napkin holder on our table was totally empty. Oh, and did I mention the employee's lack of enthusiasm, sort of curt manner when I couldn't see into the distant, dimly lit refrigerator to select no name soda to drink?

So we start eating our unadorned pie and discover that we cannot pierce the bottom nor the side crust with either the tip nor the side of our metal forks, even against the metal toaster oven trays upon which our pies were served.  And there's a cutesy piece of paper between the pie and the toaster tray which made it even harder to get any leverage with our forks.  STRIKE TWO.

My mother eventually picked up her pie in her hands and tried to eat it like a slice of pizza, but that didn't work very well either.  As it turns out, it really didn't matter much because from both taste and appearance, it was clear that the pie was slightly burnt.  This bakery served a burnt pie.  STRIKE THREE

For a place that is supposed to be specializing in pies, you would expect some excellent pie. However, that is not what was experienced there.
Food/Service



Comments