Michael's Bar & Grill, Maplewood - Visited May 2017


Today my eldest child wanted to try a place one of their friends has suggested and it happened to be somewhere we visited about three years ago, but had not tried recently, Michael's Bar & Grill in Maplewood. We parked on Richert Place and strolled down to Manchester where Michael's was on the corner. It still looked the same as it did three years ago, and this time we were seated at a table over by the bar area.

We perused the specials on their board and their printed menus looking for some Greek selections, but the Greek choices were fairly sparse, with only my son deciding to select one, the Pastitsio. Both my wife and eldest child selected the small burger, my mother-in-law ordered her standard grilled cheese, and I decided to try their Reuben sandwich. We noticed in the bar area there was only one large HDTV which three of us could see, plus also two smaller HDTV's over the bar area all tuned to soccer matches. There were only a few other patrons seated in the bar area and nobody seemed to care about the soccer matches.

Pastitsio
It did not take too long for our food to arrive and we were all generally pleased with our selections. The standout was my son's Pastitsio which had a nice flavor with perhaps a hint of red pepper (identified by my son) and just a little tomato sauce. We all tried it and thought it was excellent. The two burgers were fine but nothing exceptional, although they did come with hearty steak fries fresh from the fryer. I also received the same fries with my Rueben sandwich and enjoyed them as well, along with a zesty side of cole slaw. My Rueben was very meaty with tender, flavorful corned beef and generous portions of sauerkraut and "special sauce" to go with it. It was a bit messy, but that is how I like my sandwiches! It was a very solid Reuben sandwich.

Reuben sandwich with fries
The service was very good with our server coming back often to check on drinks and how we were enjoying our meal.  It was a very solid bar & grill experience even if we were hoping for more Greek entrees. It is still a good choice among the many Maplewood area eateries and worthy up a repeat visit some time again.

Food, Service and Atmosphere



Comments