The Crow's Nest, Maplewood - Visited November 2016


It was a pleasant Saturday in November, and time for me to select a restaurant for lunch. I had considered a couple different newer pizza places, but since we were having pizza for dinner, I decided to try some place else, The Crow's Nest in Maplewood, which I know has an interesting sounding brunch. We were able to find street parking on Manchester near the restaurant so we parked there and ventured into their "Heavy Metal Brunch."

 We had thought they would offer both items off their regular menu and the brunch menu, but unfortunately they only were offering brunch items so we had to select from them. We were seated at a hard booth across from Dan who was making dancakes for brunch. When we entered he was working on a portrait of a patron, and he did a very nice job but it did take a long time for him to finish each creation. They were also projecting the end of  the "Wayne's World" movie on the wall without sound when we started which switched to "Beetlejuice" during our meal. All during the meal they played assorted heavy metal music in the background, but it was unrecognizable and pretty monotonous without any melody or much lyrics. At first I thought the heavy metal music might be interesting, but it ended up being a bit loud and annoying. I may have preferred hearing the actual soundtrack from the movies.

We perused the brunch menu and ordered our selections. My wife ordered a waffle with two scrambled eggs, my mother-in-law ordered French toast with crisp bacon on the side, my son ordered the cheeseburger with waffle fries and I ordered the veggie slinger. It took a while for our food to arrive but while we were waiting we could watch make a bride of Frankenstein pancake and a Trumpcake before starting on a pancake of some anime character (my son recognized her.) My wife was not impressed with her eggs and her waffle was nothing special. She also said there was something funny about their tea. They burnt my mother-in-law's bacon to a crisp but I think her French toast was okay.

My son did like his cheeseburger and said the waffle fries were not bad, and I liked my veggie slinger pretty well too. The meatless chili was good over their flavorful bean patty and the cheese blended well with the chili, patty and potatoes to make a hearty breakfast dish.


The service from our server was not very attentive and she would disappear for long periods of time not to be seen anywhere. When we were finished and wanting to pay and leave it took us a while to flag her down to get our bill. Overall the food was not very consistent, the service was lacking and the constantly droning heavy metal music became a bit too much. Unless you truly crave a very unique and personal dancake, or are a huge fan of heavy metal music you may want to look elsewhere for brunch.

Food Quality

Service/Ambiance


Comments