Sauce on the Side, Clayton - Visited January 2016


It was my wife's selection for lunch today, and she decided to try some place new, so we were off to try Sauce on the Side in Clayton. It is located on Forsyth with only street parking, so my wife dropped us off as we went inside to get a table and order. When we entered we were not exactly sure what to do until someone behind the counter told us to come up and look at the menu to order. Their menu is primarily a variety of calzones with a variety of fillings and sauces. My son and I decided to split two of them, the Fatty B and the Which Came First. My wife ordered the Meat Me in St. Louis and my mother-in-law ordered the Garden calzone. The fountain drinks there were from a machine where you serve yourself but they were some weird brand (i.e. not Coke or Pepsi.) We waited at our table with our drinks as they prepared the calzones as they played classic rock tunes in the background (Clapton, Doors, Beatles) which went eerily silent when their phone rang and was answered.


The calzones all arrived at the same time and were served on these weirdly shaped plates. They were huge and fresh from the oven with little holes in the middle, so they could tell which was which. My son and I cut ours in half and traded halves, so you can see the Fatty B on the left and the Which Came First on the right side of my photo (above). I kept the green salsa verde sauce and my son kept his spicy red sauce. I even received a portion of my wife's Meat Me in St. Louis calzone with some of her meat sauce.

Eating the calzones with my hands was quite a mess and I had stuff dropping and dripping all over the place. My wife was much neater and ate hers with knife and fork. These things are definitely NOT low fat and there is quite a bit of grease to be consumed. They are very generous with all the meats, cheeses and other fillings and there is plenty of sauce to go with each calzone. As for flavor, they were loaded as well. The jalapenos in the Which Came First were potent, and with the chicken, eggs, cheese and salsa it was a very flavorful combination. The Fatty B had hefty chunks of meatballs and pepperoni with the cheese and onions for a very different but also robust flavor. The very popular Meat Me in St. Louis had more of a standard pizza flavor, and with its red sauce it was very good as well. My mother-in-law liked hers as well and took half of it home for another meal.

Overall the food was very good and definitely filling. The "fast casual" setting made it an easy, fairly quick meal and the dining area was not crowded at all (that might be different during a weekday lunch.) It was definitely a tasty meal and we would consider going back again.

Comments