Choice Saint Louis, Clayton - Visited January 2016


Today it was my pick for lunch and I was trying, of course, to find someplace new. I searched for restaurants near our home and Yelp listed out the same ones I had always seen, but then I noticed one with a very bland name, Choice Saint Louis. It was just a simple sandwich and salad cafe across from the BP on Clayton Road, but I had never noticed it there before, despite purchasing gas there at the BP on many occasions. I had guessed it was some overpriced place because of its location on Clayton Road, but after looking at its menu on its website, it sounded normal enough to give it a try.

They have a small parking lot just west of their building, but we parked on Clayton Road in front of their building since there was a spot and street parking is free on the weekends. When we entered, the place was empty except for one employee by their counter. She patiently waited for us to order and showed us the sample meals on display as well as the desserts. Both my wife and my son decided to try the Farmhouse BLT, her with a side salad and him with chips.  I selected a combination with the Curry Chicken Salad sandwich and the Chicken Tortilla soup, and my mother-in-law ordered a cheese pizza.

We selected the lone table for four in the dining area which was located in the middle near the counter. There was one larger table for eight, but aside from those two tables, all the other ones were small tables for groups of one or two. It was also a bit breezy, and although the day was quite warm, we asked to close the door so that we were not too cool. The interior is decorated in a very feminine color scheme and with lots of flowers and cursive writing. It is definitely not a masculine hang out like a sports bar. There was one TV mounted on the wall, and it was located by a very nice tree photo with sunlight streaming through it.


Our sandwiches arrived first as the pizza took a little longer to bake. The sandwiches were pretty big but I noticed my soup portion was not too large. It did come with some soup crackers on the side. My son's chips looked like standard Ruffles and my wife's salad was just lettuce and tomatoes with a light sweet dressing she said was pretty good. Both my wife and son complained about the bacon on their sandwiches being too thick and a bit chewy and fatty. They both thought the BLT's were pretty good otherwise, but nothing exceptional. My mother-in-law said she liked her pizza, although she only ate one slice. I thought my curry chicken salad sandwich was pretty good, but I was expecting a bit more flavor to it. The soup was much better, being creamy and thick with a good flavor, but unfortunately there was not too much of it!

Overall the meal was not too bad, but nothing worth coming back for a repeat visit. The lady who took our order and waited our table was very friendly and accommodating, but it helped that we were the only ones there until near the end of our meal. They are definitely trying to be a stylish "girls out" kind of cafe, but it would help if their food stood out a little bit more.

 

Comments