The Kitchen Sink, DeBaliviere - Visited November 2015


It was my son's pick for lunch, and I was curious what burger joint he would select this week, but he surprised me and decided to go to The Kitchen Sink. We had first visited them just this past summer, back before he had started college so this would be our second visit. It seemed a shame my daughter was not coming along since only lives a few blocks away, but she was busy that Saturday for lunch and could not come along with us.

Finding parking nearby is always difficult so my wife dropped us off at the corner of Union and Pershing and tried to find a spot along Pershing. It was a short walk to the restaurant, and when we entered we did not have to wait to be seated at a table near the entrance. This time the table was a more standard, lower table instead of one of those tall bar height tables. Perhaps since there were just four of us they could give us a more comfortable table this time, and the restaurant was also less crowded.

I had perused the menu before coming and I was planning on trying a different Cajun entree this time, the Mighty Mo. I had the Jambalaya last time and thought it was pretty good but not as good as some of the other entrees, but I thought it would be good with the other items that came with it. My son decided to order what my daughter had last time, the El Classico quesadilla, and my wife and mother-in-law both ordered the same items they did last time, the pancakes (this time with eggs) and French toast (with bacon) respectively.

Once again the wait for the food was pretty long, but the music this time was somewhat different, tending towards hip-hop which nobody at the table recognized much except for my son. He could have made up weird names about who was playing because none of the rest of us had any idea who it was.

Finally our food arrived, but once again they did not all arrive at the same time. My wife liked her pancakes although she wondered what the black specks were in them (parts of the iron skillet?) and my mother-in-law thought the French toast was pretty good but the bacon was too fatty. My son devoured his quesadilla rapidly with added Sriracha sauce along with the pico de gallo, which was a mess to eat but he managed it quite well. It was his first meal of the day and it was not from his cafeteria so he was happy.

My Mighty Mo was "mighty good" although the grilled chicken was a little dry. The Cajun seasoning on it and the grilled shrimp was very tasty, however, and made it worthwhile. The jambalaya was good as I remembered, and I cut up pieces of the grilled Andouille sausage to go with it to give it more sausage per bite. The corn fritters were just okay so I added a few shots of Sriracha to give them some zip. The best part of the dish was the crab cake which was pretty impressive. It was light and flaky and very flavorful. All in all the combination of items in the Mighty Mo provided a good variety of flavors and made for a very satisfying lunch.

Both my son and my wife used the restrooms there, and my son did not say much about his experience there, but my wife noticed the floor was sticky which seems to be a common problem in many restrooms these days! The service was also slow and our waitress was not too attentive, letting my wife's tea sit empty for a long time and never refilling it.

So once again the food was pretty good, but the service and atmosphere may not be ideal. If you like Cajun items those are definitely better than the more standard breakfast fare there, but all of it is quite well made, even if it may take a while for the food start showing up at various times. I would definitely not mind going back and again trying more of their Cajun samplings.

Food
Service



Comments