Five Star Burgers, Clayton - Visited October 2015


Today it was my son's pick for lunch, and since he has been eating burgers all semester long at the Grille Works on the SLU campus, his pick for lunch today was... Five Star Burgers in Clayton since he had not had a burger for a whole day. I had to check what the Burger of the Month was and I was excited to see it was the Hot Rod, a premium beef burger with ghost pepper cheese, crispy jalapenos, a chile jalapeno relish and chile mayo on the side. Wow, that sure sounded good!

We were meeting our older child and one of their friends from college there but first we had to find a place to park. All the spots on Maryland in front of the restaurant and for the whole block looked full, so we had to park way over on Brentwood in the residential area north of Maryland. The dining area of the restaurant itself were rather empty, so we were not sure where all those people parked on the street were visiting. We were seated in a table where half of us had the cushioned seats, and I was lucky enough to be on the cushioned half. As usual we received a small bottle of water which seemed somewhat lacking for a party of six, but luckily two of us ordered iced tea as well. Our server was not overly attentive while we were there.

My wife ordered her standard plain burger with blue cheese, my mother-in-law ordered a grilled cheese, my son had the Blue Ribbon burger, his sibling ordered the Breakfast of Champions burger and both their visiting college friend and I ordered the Hot Rod. We also ordered some orders of fries and onion rings and we waited patiently for our food. As usual they do not take too long to prepare the food and we soon had our meals.

The burgers were delicious as usual, cooked properly to order which we all ordered either medium or medium well. We both enjoyed the Hot Rod which was very flavorful but not so hot to be painful. The different peppers actually stood out separately and the chile mayo was also good for dipping the onion rings and fries. It was a bit messy but I managed to consume it all without making too big of a mess of myself. The onion rings there are very good and the fries are pretty good on their own and even better dipped in the chile mayo. My wife always prefers her beverages with lots of ice, and they are always a little stingy with it, but they did bring us some more ice when we asked as well as a second bottle of water.

My wife checked out the restroom and it seemed reasonably clean and spacious with plenty of soap and paper products. Afterwards we headed home with a full bellies, but both my wife and my older child did not feel too settled in their stomach. The rest of us felt fine, but we were wondering if there might have been a problem with their burgers. I know mine was cooked medium and I felt fine. Nevertheless the burgers were delicious and we will undoubtedly be back again.

Food Quality
Service


Comments