P'Sghetti's Glendale - Visited Jan 2015


Today was my week to pick Saturday lunch, and I was going to torture my son by making him go somewhere Chinese for Chinese New Year. But since he was not feeling too well, I thought I would be kind to him and go somewhere else. I had been going through the junk mail yesterday when I saw a coupon for P'Sghetti's, and I realized we had not been there in a while. In fact, we had wanted to go there and eat after the Hidden Valley church youth outing last January 2014, but it closes on Sundays at 5:00 pm so we had to go elsewhere. Since tomorrow is another Hidden Valley church youth outing, I decided it was time to make up our visit, so off to P'Sghetti's we went!

We knew to park in the back and enter from the back where we could look at their board and decide what to order.I had already decided on the Combo with the meatball sandwich and the toasted raviolis. My son also picked a combo but with the chicken club sandwich. My wife ordered a meatball sandwich and a salad and my mother-in-law picked a cheese sandwich with a salad.

It was a sunny day and the restaurant was actually pleasantly warm. We noticed they had a few small space heaters in the dining area, probably just to keep the chill off the place with so many windows. There were plenty of tables so we selected one for six so we had plenty of elbow room. The two HDTV sets were on this time, one watching the news and the other showing a college basketball game. Again there were a number of groups there with small children, as this seems to be a pleasant, homey place with a family friendly menu.

Our food arrived fairly quickly, and my wife and mother-in-law realized their "normal" sandwiches are pretty large. My wife and I decided to switch meatball sandwiches and so I took her enormous one and I gave her my smaller one that came with my combo. I looked at the monstrous beast and knew I could not pick it up and eat it. So I used my plastic knife and cleaved the behemoth in two. But then it happened - as I raised the sandwich to my mouth, it decided to fight back by releasing one large, sauce drenched meatball in my general direction. It plummeted past my shirt and splattered squarely on my jeans before bouncing to my chair and then landing on the floor and rolling towards my mother-in-law. It instantly brought to mind the old song "On Top of Spaghetti" (as sung to "On Top of Old Smoky"), and I have been humming it ever since the meatball catastrophe.



But as for the meal, the food was delicious as always. The bread is soft and sweet, and the meat sauce is also sweet and thick. They are also generous with the cup of hearty meat sauce that comes with the raviolis, which were also very good. My mother-in-law claimed it was the best cheese sandwich she had ever had, but she could not finish it, so she gave half of it to my son. Despite not feeling well, he had no problem eating his chicken club sandwich (after removing the tomato, I noticed) and the half of the giant cheese sandwich (dipped in his cup of meat sauce) and his six raviolis (also dipped in sauce, of course.) My wife did say the salad was pretty plain and not that exciting, and she would have preferred having some cheese on it, since they obviously have cheese!

My wife did visit the restrooms where she said they were clean and well maintained. She noticed they had one of the space heaters in there, which she thought was both very well meaning but also possibly dangerous if they got wet. But she still gave the restrooms a thumbs up.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to P'Sghetti's although my wife realized later she had a coupon there for free garlic bread. I am sure we will be back there some time when we want to enjoy a casual, comfortable meal of some inexpensive yet solidly good, but not too fancy Italian food.

Comments