Schafly's Bottleworks - Revisited December 2014

We had not been planning on going out to dinner last night, but Missouri American Water decided that we should! With construction in our neighborhood turning off the water until 6:00pm or so, we decided to use the fine restrooms and restaurant at the Schafly's Bottleworks in Maplewood for a few hours. We arrived around 5:00 pm and were glad to see the lot had some cars but was not completely full. When we entered we headed straight to the restrooms to use their flowing water and their powerful Dysan hand dryers.

We were seated promptly and perused their menu which they seem to keep changing. My wife and son decided to split two items, the smoked turkey club and the six cheese pizza. My daughter opted for a well-done burger, her dietary restricted guest selected the spicy red curry with tofu (and a side of vegetables), and I decided on the pulled pork sandwich. We noticed the sandwiches no longer had the Billy Goat chips we had enjoyed in the past, and I ordered the potato salad, and my son and daughter both ordered the potato wedges as their side.

When the entrees arrived we noticed the potato wedges ended up being just a few very large slabs of potato, and I was glad I ordered potato salad instead of those wedges. My daughter's potatoes were raw in the middle and she found a hair in them, never a good sign! My potato salad was rather bland but at least it used cooked potatoes and was hair free. My son and wife both like the club sandwich quite a bit, and liked the pizza as well. My daughter liked her burger and her friend liked the red curry, but thought it was spicier than she expected for a non-ethnic restaurant. I tasted her sauce to see if I thought it was spicy, but unfortunately my taste buds are not the most sensitive in terms of detecting hotness. I did think it tasted quite good, though! My pork sandwich was also quite tasty, with a tangy sauce and very tender and flavorful pork. I also liked the sweet and zesty cole slaw that comes with the sandwich.

So overall the meal was quite good, but the main concern we had was with those potato wedges as sides. What happened to the Billy Goat chips? I know they had them before and we preferred them quite a bit over those wedges. I am sure we will be coming back in the future, and we hope they improve the side options they have available for diners. Maybe the next time American Water decides to shut down our water we may have to go somewhere else!

Comments