Bud's Smokehouse and Grill, Richmond Heights - Visited October 2014

Today it was my pick for Saturday lunch, and I selected Bud's Smokehouse & Grill in Richmond Heights, located right next to Starr's Market on Big Bend. I had noticed their club sandwich had been on the Riverfront Time's list of 100 dishes you must eat so I thought I would have to try it out.

When we arrived slightly before the noon the place was pretty empty. You actually have to push a button to get service, but once it was pushed someone came right out to take our order at the counter. I ordered my club sandwich, my son and mother-in-law both ordered the 5 oz. burgers and my wife ordered the pulled pork sandwich. Since the place was empty we decided to grab one of the large semicircular booths by the front sidewalk. The dining area was actually large and fairly nicely decorated with some old timey signs, such as a sign for S&H Green Stamps, which allowed us to tell our son what they were. They appropriately played old timey band music from the 50's which gave the place a nostalgic feel. Despite being empty, it took our order a while to be prepared which gave us plenty of time to chat. Since it did have a comfortable feel to it, we did not mind too much, and it was a nice day to watch the traffic going by on Big Bend.

Eventually our plates arrived and we were ready to eat. The burgers were quite tall, and they gave out fairly generous portions of both the standard potato fries and the sweet potato fries. A second person arrived with bottles of their assortment of sauces, Bud's original sauce (fairly sweet), a Carolina sauce (more vinegary) and a Apple Chipotle (just plain weird.) I tasted all three sauces as a condiment for my fries and my favorite was Bud's original, which was similar to the Sweet & Smokey sauce at Bandana's but more watery and with somewhat less sweetness and zip to it. So to give it some extra "zest" I added one of the other sauces they brought over, "Slap Ya Mama" Cajun Pepper Sauce. I had never had that sauce before and it had a nice pepper flavor along with some Cajun spices to add a little kick to Bud's sauce. I hope Bud did not mind!

As for my club sandwich I thought it was a very good blend of the pulled pork, ham and bacon with the slaw, cheese and sauce adding some very nice flavors to the meat. My biggest complaint about the sandwich? It was too small! Those $3.99 5 oz. burgers my son and mother-in-law ordered sure looked a lot bigger than my club sandwich. I could have easily eaten much more of it. So instead I ate my fries and everybody else's fries dipped in my "enhanced" Bud's barbecue sauce.

My son and mother-in-law liked their burgers, but my son was not impressed with the potato fries. My mother-in-law prefered her own sweet potato fries (even though she ended up giving most of them to the rest of us.) My wife thought the pulled pork meat was very good, but she was not that impressed with the watery Bud's sauce, and would have preferred the Sweet & Smokey from Bandana's (or from Salt + Smoke.) She was also a little disappointed that the drinks were not refillable. But she did like the atmosphere and said she would return if someone else picked it (but she probably would not herself.)

If I returned I would probably try one of the other unusual specialties like the Vietnamese Pulled Pork sandwich or the Brisket Quesadilla they had listed on the board. It is definitely not a bad place at all but it did not really create any strong pull to make us want to come back again.

Comments