Bobo Noodlehouse - carried out October 2014

Yesterday when I was in the main office, Marcia decided it was my job to tell the new "boss man" in our department, Robert, he had to pick where we were going to get food for his Boss's Day lunch (today). He obviously was not prepared for the question, but as I mentioned we were surrounded by a plethora of interesting restaurants here at the Danforth Campus of Washington University, one idea came into his mind - the nearby Bobo Noodlehouse on the corner of Skinker and Forest Park Parkway. Personally, I had never eaten from there before and I always had wanted to try it, so I realized that this would be my first chance, and also my chance to review it here on my blog!

Since I had a whole day to decide what to order, I carefully perused their menu for the perfect selection. I decided upon the curried chicken with peanut sauce and egg noodles, and submitted my request. I would now have to wait a whole day until I could eat it!

All morning long I anxiously awaited the call from the main office, and finally a few minutes after noon Vicki called my office, uttering those three glorious words, "Lunch is served!" After running down the hallway to collect Margo and ask her about her book ("An Irish Country Wedding" by Patrick Taylor), we together hurried downstairs to hunt and devour our lunch. The take out food all came in cardboard boxes that held in the heat and were easy to eat out of directly.

When I opened the container I was happy to see the portions were pretty generous, and my entree included several large pieces of chicken, along with abundant cabbage, carrots, and onions. There was a good amount of liquid in the bottom, but I could have used a little more to go with the rest of the food. The curry flavoring had a slight hotness to it, and gave a good flavor without being too salty or overpowering. Beth ordered the cashew chicken and thought it was good, but not worth the $12 they charged. Vicki ordered the same and was not impressed with the crispy rice noodles. I saw what they looked like I was glad I had not ordered it, and much preferred my soft egg noodles. Margo ordered the mussels with coconut curry which also luckily was served with the egg noodles. She liked her order too. Someone ordered some pot stickers and I was able to try one. It was alright, but nothing too special.

We all also received little sesame seed balls as a replacement for fortune cookies. They were not as fresh and tasty as other sesame seed balls I have had before, but still better than your typical dry old fortune cookie.  All in all, it was a nice change of pace from pizza or a sandwich, but the price was a little high for what you received despite the generous portions. I am guessing Bobo benefits from their location so close to campus where they are a quick and easy alternative to campus food, so they can charge a premium price. They are good for a different lunch now and then, but they are too pricey to eat at all the time.

Comments