House of India, University City - Visited April 2014


My birthday is this weekend, and since my daughter will not be here to celebrate with us over the weekend, she offered to pick me up for lunch from campus and take me to House of India on Delmar for their lunch buffet. Since we are the only two in our household who like Indian food this sounded like a splendid idea since I had not eaten there since before my son was born. I last recalled visiting with coworkers from my now defunct biotech company when we were located in Overland. Wow, that was a long time ago and House of India is still going strong.

We showed up today around 11:45 and I was concerned if it was going to be full since it was "Administrative Professionals Day". However, we parked over by Jilly's and even they were not that full so I knew House of India would be fine. Sure enough we were given a table for two located about 10 inches away from two other tables for two with a paper tablecloth placed over a cloth tablecloth. Okay, so maybe that was a little tacky, but we did not care since we were there for the buffet! It only took a minute until we ordered our drinks (water!) and could go straight for the buffet.

Of course they had naan bread and both white and jasmine rice and about eight other entrees. I know they had chick peas, palak paneer (spinach), the veggie dish with potatoes, tandoori chicken, curry chicken, and chicken tikka masala since I ate all of them! The chicken in the tikka masala was a little tough, but the chicken in the curry and the tandoori chicken were both very good. Since it was a buffet I could get more of the good stuff! The first batch of naan was even a little tough and chewy, but they brought more and it was crispier and tastier. Again the power of the unlimited buffet comes through again! My daughter got some rice pudding and said it was not great so I tried hers and sure enough it was runny and not too flavorful. Luckily by then I was so stuffed I did not care. All I needed for dessert was a toothpick and to enjoy the sight of my daughter paying the bill. What a great birthday lunch! And luckily I know I am having another birthday lunch on Saturday (and a birthday dinner) and then lunch again next week with coworkers! I sure hope I do not explode with food before I can enjoy all those birthday celebrations.

Comments