Filomena's Italian Kitchen Glendale - Visited October 2013 (Wife's Review)


The following was reported by my wife as she and my mother-in-law visited Filomena's Italian Kitchen at Manchester and Berry in Glendale (just west of Rock Hill)  today:

My husband has read that Filomena's is supposed to have very good Italian food for the price.  This information was false.  My mother and I had lunch there today and for $35, which I would consider fairly expensive for fast food Italian, it wasn't that good.  We started by sharing the House Salad.  It was your typical Italian salad, but jam-packed into a styrofoam take out container.  If we hadn't had the extra plastic plate for sharing, it would have been impossible to eat.  The dressing was buried under the salad in a little plastic cup.  In terms of taste, the salad was not great but not bad.  

The pastas we ordered were also jam packed into plastic take out containers.  My mother thought her Penne Alfredo was delicious.  My Penne Tutto Mare, on the other hand, had an unadvertised and unwelcome hot flavor added to the "tomato butter sauce" and the penne noodles were replaced with spaghetti noodles which were very hard to swirl and slurp from the packed solid take out container.  The bay scallops were tiny but numerous and the shrimp and scallops were both cooked well without being chewy.  If I had had the penne noodles as advertised, or at least a pasta twirling spoon, and no hot sauce as NOT advertised, it might have been quite tasty.  

Both of us made the mistake of choosing the Brisk peach flavored green tea which tasted nothing like peach and was terrible, but the server was sitting in the dining area the whole time, so we were too self-conscious to dump the tea and choose another drink, plus the ice machine wasn't working, so we would have had to ask her for more ice.  If this meal had cost perhaps $15 for two, I might agree that it was reasonable fast food Italian, but for $35 I could have had much better food at Pasta House, Zia's, Amighettis', and many other local Italian restaurants.

Comments