Meskerem Ethiopian Restaurant - South Grand, visited Aug 2013


Since we had not visited any new restaurants in a while, I thought I would bend my "mid-county" criteria again since we visited someplace interesting where we had never been before, the Meskerem Ethiopian Restaurant on South Grand. I was especially excited since it was my daughter's pick (who does on occasion pick new and unusual places) so I did not have to use my pick on a more wierder selection. I always love visiting new places!

We actually visited on the same day as the Festival of Nations in nearby Tower Grove Park, so we were guessing many folks who might visit one of the many ethnic restaurants on South Grand might be there instead. Sure enough, when we entered the restaurant at 11:45am, we were the first and only customers there. Since my daughter had been there before she ordered for us, so we received two orders of the Meskerem Combo platters for the 5 of us, plus one extra order of the Tibs Alecha Wat lamb dish. We were all served a plate with the a giant sheet of Injera bread folded on top of it and no utensils (who needs them.) We all had to taste the Injera, and sure enough it was very sour! But we noticed once we used it for eating the other dishes the sourness was much less pronounced. On the Combo platters we substituted the spicy beef dish for one of the vegetarian dishes (much to my dismay) but I thought all the dishes were good, even the vegetarian ones. I was the only one who even ate the chicken (Doro Wat) and I thought it was very tasty. My least favorite dish was the Fosolia, just because it was not as flavorful as the other dishes. I will have to admit that my wife, mother-in-law and son tolerated the meal but were not overly excited about it (except for the beef dish which we all liked.) But we all had to agree it was a very interesting and unusual meal.

The service was good from the one waitress that was there and we definitely had plenty to eat (or at least my daughter and I did!) And since my mother-in-law was not completely full she wanted to go for some frozen treat afterwards, so we visited Ted Drewes for dessert (I ordered a small Dutchman concrete there.) All the while we were eating our Ted Drewes I could still smell the tumeric all over my fingers. What a nice way to remember our tasty lunch!

Comments