Red Lobster Maplewood - Hold the Salt, Stick to Chicken!


This week was my mother-in-law's pick for Saturday lunch and since I had two picks in a row (including our not so great Dynasty Buffet visit) she was happy to select a more "tried and true" pick, her favorite: Red Lobster in Maplewood Commons. Knowing we were headed there, I perused the online menu beforehand for something I had not tried there after visiting countless times. I noticed they had a wood-grilled Southwest chicken sandwich which sounded pretty good even if it was not seafood. How can you go wrong with bacon, onion rings and BBQ sauce?

So that is what I ordered and I noticed my son was getting the chicken fingers, so we represented the "chicken side" of the table. At least he did order a cup of clam chowder to go with it so that was seafood appropriate. We were seated at a table we had never been seated at before, by the bar but on the side nearer Lowe's. Our waitress was very efficient and fast, but not overly friendly which was fine compared to some other waitresses we have had at Red Lobster before. She did bring us a whole bunch of biscuits early which was nice. My wife ordered the lobster pizza and my mother-in-law ordered friend shrimp which is her favorite.

Those of us on the chicken side of the table were pretty happy with our poultry selections, and I noticed my son's honey mustard sauce was the same as their honey mustard salad dressing. Their ranch dip is probably their salad dressing too. Unfortunately for my wife, her lobster pizza was pretty bad. They had covered it with two much salt and it was overcooked so the lobster was tough and small. She did not finish it and after her description and looking at it, not even I wanted to finish it for her (that is pretty bad!) My mother-in-law did finish off her shrimp though. My chicken sandwich was pretty good, and I liked the onion rings on top with the BBQ sauce. They did give me too much lettuce on it, so I pulled it off and dipped in into my son's honey mustard sauce to eat. Hey, it was like a free salad!

I am sure we will be back at some point and I hope they learn how to prepare their own lobster pizza (for my wife's sake if she orders that again.) I will again have to try to find something different to eat there!

Comments