Joy Luck Buffet Brentwood - Revisited Feb 2013


It was again another birthday lunch in our department and time to go out to eat! Since it was not my pick yet (I have to wait until April), we again were headed out to the Joy Luck Buffet in Brentwood, but this time since we had just visited in December I knew what to get. And for me that meant primarily invading the sushi selections. I rode with our Lab Administrator who was busy trying to convince me to order a large HDTV for the faculty member whose office was next to his. I wondered if he just wanted it there to borrow for sporting events. When we arrived at Joy Luck we waited for the others for a while, until we realized they had already beaten us there! We must have missed them somehow. Luckily it was a buffet, so we just had to grab a plate and go at it. As usual I start off with a small bowl of Hot & Sour soup. Having just been to the Dynasty Hibachi Sushi Seafood Buffet I will have to say that the Joy Luck definitely has better Hot & Sour Soup!

I am also now in a better position to compare the two now that I know what Dynasty has to offer. I will have to admit that the Dynasty definitely has a larger selection of items including much more "non-Chinese" food, especially much more seafood (like their seafood salads, crawfish, baked crabmeat, etc.) I think for people who do not like typical "Americanized Chinese" fare, Dynasty offers much more selection. I did have a few pot stickers, some noodles and some of the Chinese dishes, but I now rarely get any rice since I need to save stomach room for more sushi which contains plenty of rice. I must efficiently allocate my stomach space!

Comparing the sushi selections, I think the two of them are fairly similar. Both of them primarily served a variety of rolls which makes sense for a buffet. I was lucky today to be one of the few people there who ate a lot of sushi (yet again) so I was able to eat a large selection of what they offered. Both Joy Luck and Dynasty have 4 or 5 different varieties of sushi available, but you always have to be ready for the "sushi guy" to release a new batch. I happened to be close to the sushi bar when he brought out some new rolls and I grabbed a bunch of the pieces. I do not believe any of my other coworkers ate any of the sushi at all. Instead they just ate a lot of the fried "Chinese" stuff which I do not find as appetizing. I was also the only one using chopsticks which actually makes eating that food a lot faster and easier. My co-workers must think I starve myself every day before we go out to eat. I do enjoy my Chinese and sushi buffets!

Comments