Steak'n Shake Maplewood - Visited December 2012


Since it was again my son's weekend to pick our lunch dining location, I did not have my hopes too high. First he just wanted to hit Charley's sub sandwiches in the Galleria Food Court, which would have given me the opportunity to try the new Cajun Gourmet there, but since it was almost Christmas my wife shot down that idea after she saw the long line of traffic heading towards the mall. So then my son switched to either Jack in the Box and Steak 'n Shake and settled on the latter. We headed to the location in Maplewood on Manchester between Big Bend and Hanley which turned out to be a good choice.

We were a group of five that Saturday for lunch and we were seated at a table in the middle of the restaurant. I decided I would order a shake, but remembered the normal shakes were pretty large so I ordered a "Junior" chocolate fudge brownie shake which cost $2.79 instead of $3.49 for the full size one. That was just the right size! I had to try a specialty steakburger so I went with a Santa Fe whereas my son went for the Royale. Mine was a huge, slopping, drippy mess... and I loved every bit of it! My wife went with a completely plain steakburger which she truly enjoys since Steak 'n Shake is one establishment where it is easy to custom order a completely plain burger (which is the way she likes it). My daughter and mother-in-law both picked the chicken fingers platter which is fine for them, although I would never pick that myself there!

All in all, it was not anything close to a "fine dining experience", but compared to fighting the holiday throngs at the Galleria Food Court, I considered it a major win! We were able to have a nice sit down lunch where we were served by our table and eat custom prepared food on real dishes.

Comments