Red Lobster - Maplewood - Visited August 2012


The Red Lobster in Maplewood Commons is one of the newer ones in the metro St. Louis area, located right next to an Olive Garden (which is next to an Applebee's) in the southwest corner of the shopping center near Lowe's. With so many chain restaurants stacked up one after another, I am surprised they get much business, and on Saturdays at lunchtime it is usually pretty empty (although we noticed is was much more crowded once on a Sunday evening.)

The last two times we have visited they have a sign saying something like "Pardon our appearance but we are open", and they seem to be prepared to be doing a renovation, even though the building is not that old. The dining area is large and looks like your standard Red Lobster so I am not sure why they are updating. As for the food, it is the same old RL fare they have been serving for years: lots of butter, oil and salt on everything. The problem with that is...well, I love butter, oil and salt! Is this a gourmet seafood dining experience? Definitely not, but I know how much a true gourmet seafood dining experiences costs! At least they often have new and updated menu items which I like to try out.

One thing I noticed, though, is they replaced their old soup and shrimp salad combination with a shrimp salad and soup in a bread bowl combination. The salad remains the same, but the amount of soup you get in the bread bowl is much less than the old bowls of soup they gave you before. They do now include their Chicken Tortilla soup as an option (which I like), but I am not a big fan of the bread bowls, unless they can make them bigger. Hey, Red Lobster, you know when folks come to your restaurant they want to gorge like pigs, so help me out here!

Comments